Are you culinary inclined and do you have plans to go to Germany or do you already reside in Germany? in this blog post, I have curated a list of food technology scholarships in Germany, if you are an international student you can apply for most of the scholarships in the list, read ahead to find out more.
These scholarships are the new gateways to the culinary world, with such scholarships you will be able to get a formal education and also connect, innovate, and grow with renowned professionals in the culinary industry, if you are a high school student there are scholarships created for you, here’s the list: Best Culinary Scholarships For High School Students.
But by the way, the Food technology scholarships in Germany expose you to different opportunities in the culinary industry, culinary scholarships are not just about the financial aspect even though it is the most important, with one of these scholarships in this blog post you will be able to to live up to their dreams in the culinary industry.
In this blog post, I carefully curated enough information about the food technology scholarships in Germany, I will also answer some of the frequently asked questions about such scholarships, if you are into the baking aspect of the culinary art you can look at Best Baking And Pastry Scholarships (For Beginners and Pro Bakers)
Table of Contents
Meaning of Food Technology Scholarships
The Food Technology Scholarships refer to a scholarship program offered by the Food Technology organizations.
These scholarships support aspiring culinary professionals by providing financial assistance to pursue their culinary education and career goals.
The specific details and requirements of the Food Technology Scholarships may vary yearly, as the program is subject to change.
However, these scholarships are typically open to individuals passionate about culinary arts and looking to enroll in a culinary school or program.
The scholarships may cover various expenses related to culinary education, such as tuition fees, books, supplies, and sometimes even living expenses.
The Food Technology scholarships aim to encourage talented individuals to pursue their culinary dreams and contribute to the culinary industry by awarding these scholarships.
Types of Food Technology Scholarship
Food technology scholarships, which means There are different culinary scholarships because different types of culinary schools assess applicants in distinct ways, I have listed three types of culinary scholarships which include;
1. Merit-based Scholarships
Merit-based scholarships are awarded to students or individuals who have been assessed and evaluated based on their academic accomplishments and culinary talents.
2. Competition-based Scholarships
Scholarships based on competition are granted to students or individuals who have taken part in or emerged victorious in a culinary competition.
3. Personal Criteria Scholarships
Personal Criteria Scholarships are awarded to students who meet certain personal criteria, for instance, active-duty military or veterans, single parents, certain ethnic groups or races, place of residence, or members of the LGBTQ+ community.
4. Need-based Scholarships
Need-based Scholarships are awarded to students or individuals who are financially unstable or lower-income students, to help bridge their financing gap.
List Of Food Technology Scholarships In Germany
- Alumni Bursary At Loughborough University
- SFI Industry RD&I Fellowship Programme
- Friedrich Eberft Stifnug Scholarships
- Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships
- German Chancellor Fellowship
- Country-Related Cooperation Program with Mexico
- ServiceScape Scholarships
- Fraunhofer-Bessel Research Award
- DAAD Bilateral Exchange of Academics
- German Research Foundation DFG individual Research Grants
1. Alumni Bursary At Loughborough University
The alumni bursary is one of the food technology scholarships in Germany, this scholarship is not fully paid this scholarship, this scholarship offers a twenty percent discount on the tuition fees to the Loughborough alumni and students who are interested and also due to complete this institution.
To apply for this scholarship you have to be a Loughborough University degree award holder of a bachelor’s or master’s degree), full-time and part-time applicants are eligible to apply for this scholarship, and International Students and students from the United States are also eligible.
This bursary cannot be combined with any other university awards, scholarships, or discounts, to qualify for this scholarship you have to apply for a PhD study, to receive this alumni bursary you will be sent a letter alongside your offer, this letter will explain to you how you are eligible for the twenty percent discount as long as you are self-funding your studies.
To confirm this offer you have to let the University of Loughborough University know how you plan on funding your studies, after you have completed this phase your alumni bursary will be formally confirmed.
With this scholarship you can study any course of your choice which includes food technology, are you interested in studying food technology if yes you should consider applying for this scholarship.
2. SFI Industry RD&I Fellowship Programme
The SFI Industry RD&I Fellowship Program is one of the best food technology scholarships in Germany thus scholarship is open to national students and it is a partially funded scholarship with a price is up to 100,000, euros this scholarship can be your gateway to a lot of knowledge and opportunities in the food industry.
The SFI Industry RD&I Fellowship Programme is offered by the Science Foundation in Ireland to be eligible for this scholarship you have to fall under the following categories:
- The fellowship is awarded to three different types of applicants, They are an SFI Award Holder, a Non-SFI Award Holder, and a Postdoctoral Researcher.
- The candidate must be a member of the academic staff of an eligible Irish Research Body.
- The applicants must hold a Ph.D. degree or equivalent to be eligible.
- He/She must be a contract researcher with a contract that covers the period of the Industry Fellowship
The agency that funds this scholarship is a statutory body and they have been tasked with the responsibility of funding-oriented basic and applied areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, if you are interested in this scholarship;
3. Friedrich Eberft Stifnug Scholarships
This is one of the most inspiring food technology scholarships in Germany, Friedrich Eberft Stifnug Scholarships is a fully funded scholarship for students who are interested in studying any courses of choice which includes food science and technology courses.
International and national students are allowed to apply for this scholarship, you can apply for Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. programs in any university or technical college in Germany, this scholarship is an excellent opportunity for young minds to achieve their dreams by advancing their career.
This scholarship offers the winner up to seven hundred and seventy-four euros per month, they are also opportune to receive a monthly flat-study fee of three hundred euros, as long as you win this scholarship you can freely make use of those fees to support your educational pursuit.
You may also receive health insurance of up to seventeen euros, and long-term care insurance for up to fifteen euros per month, if you have a child or children you will receive a family allowance of one hundred and eleven euros per month, this scholarship can be your gateway to a better future in your career.
Before applying for this scholarship make sure you possess the following traits;
Sociopolitical engagement and identification with the values of social democracy above-average performance in school and studies political thinking thirst for knowledge tolerance and openness ability to work as a team critical thinking self-reflection.
Applicants for basic Bachelor’s and master’s degree courses must have the following:
Confirmation of study place or certificate of enrollment at a state or state-recognized German university or technical college for the course for which they want to be funded Foreign applicants must also demonstrate sufficient German language skills First-year students (Germans and foreign students with education) must apply before or at the beginning of the first semester.
Ph.D. funding applicants must have:
Unconditional notification of admission to the doctoral scholarship Foreign applicants must also demonstrate sufficient German language skills
To apply for this scholarship you have to fill out an online form If you are eligible for a scholarship, the Foundation will request additional documents from you by e-mail.
4. Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships
Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships is a food technology scholarship that fully funds the winner of the scholarship if you are interested in undertaking Master, and Ph.D. level programs at German Universities, or Swedish universities, you should apply for this scholarship both international and national students are eligible to apply.
This foundation scholarship awards scholarships to students who are by the rules and guidelines of Germany’s Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).
These scholarships are awarded for the regular period of study, Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships offer all subjects which means you can choose any food technology or science courses you want to study, this scholarship is also open to those who are not in the food industry.
5. German Chancellor Fellowship
German Chancellor Fellowship is one of the food technology scholarships that are open to students who are in Brazil, China, India, South Africa, and the USA nationals, this scholarship is fully funded, they offer training and short courses and also research fellows/scientists.
The deadline to apply for this is 15 October, this scholarship is provided by the Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation, and winners of this scholarship are offered a monthly stipend and other benefits.
Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation is offering the German chancellor fellowship to all university graduates with initial leadership experience from the following countries- Brazil, China, India, South Africa, and the USA for a 12-month program to implement a project idea they have developed.
- A monthly fellowship grant of 2,000 euros, 2,300 euros, or 2,600 euros – depending on your training and career level.
- Individual support during stay in Germany.
- Additional financial support, e.g. for mobility, for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance, or additional German language courses.
- Extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular, to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany throughout your entire professional career.
6. Country-Related Cooperation Program with Mexico
This is a partially funded scholarship that is open to all national students in Mexico, The Country-Related Cooperation Program with Mexico offers Masters, Ph.D., and Doc degrees in the field of All subjects offered by the universities, this scholarship is provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
This scholarship also offers their winners a stipend + other allowances, this scholarship is an opportunity for Mexican students who are ready to obtain further academic qualifications.
- The applicants of the Country-related Cooperation Programme with Mexico can be graduates, doctoral candidates, postdoctoral, or teachers at universities in Mexico are eligible.
- Researchers at publicly funded institutions in Mexico can also apply.
- The scholarship includes funding for Master’s or postgraduate students, Ph.D. students, and faculty.
- The duration of the scholarship is up to 24 months for a Master’s degree, 36 months for a Doctoral degree, and up to 24 months for Postdoc.
- The candidates applying for the Country-related Cooperation Programme with Mexico are selected based on the academic achievements of their studies.
- The quality of the doctoral or research project is taken into consideration.
7. ServiceScape Scholarships
ServiceScape Scholarships is one of the best food technology scholarships in Germany, this scholarship only covers your tuition fee, and you can study at any university or institution all over the world, this scholarship is open to students who want further a master’s or bachelor’s degree.
The deadline for this scholarship is 30 November 2023, this scholarship is provided by ServiceScape.
- The contest is open to students who are attending or who will attend an accredited college, university, or trade school.
- A person must successfully submit the application form below and must be at least 18 years old.
- Each contest participant can enter only once.
- Contest participants’ application form submissions must be written in English.
- Contest participants will be judged on their quality of writing, All decisions are final, Non-winning entries will be discarded after the winner has been chosen and the contest participants will retain all the rights to their submitted work.
All scholarship applicants should fill out the application form and submit a 300-word essay on how writing impacts today’s world.
Value of the scholarship:
The amount of $1,000 USD is to be paid toward the educational certification/degree program of students’ choice.
8. Fraunhofer-Bessel Research Award 2023
Fraunhofer-Bessel Research Award 2023 is a partially funded scholarship that is open to all nationals, this scholarship does not have a deadline and it is offered by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the value of this scholarship is Partial Funding, 45,000 euros.
Fraunhofer-Bessel Research Award 2023 is offered for Ph.D., Post Doc degree in the field of All courses offered by the university.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants up to three research awards annually to internationally renowned academics from all non-European countries1 in recognition of their outstanding academic performance in applied research to date.
Eligibility for individuals who got nominated for the Fraunhofer-Bessel Research Award :
- The nominated individual must have gained her/his doctorate no more than 18 years ago. An exception to this rule may be made where justified (e.g. in the case of career breaks to raise children).
- The nominee may not previously have received an award from the Humboldt Foundation for her/his academic work.
- At the time of nomination, the nominee must have been predominantly living and working outside Germany for at least five years.
- The nominee must not yet have entered permanent employment in Germany at the time of selection.
Value of the Fraunhofer-Bessel Research Award:
- The award amount is €45,000.
- Award winners are also invited to conduct a research project of their choice at a research institution in Germany in cooperation with specialist colleagues there.
- The award enables a total stay of between six months and a full year, which can be split into multiple stays.
9. DAAD Bilateral Exchange of Academics 2023
DAAD Bilateral Exchange of Academics 2023 is one of the best food technology scholarships in Germany, this scholarship is offered for A degree in the field of all subjects offered at the university, you can apply for this scholarship as long as you are interested in furthering your academic career.
This scholarship was created to improve international relations and bilateral research cooperations between German and foreign universities, the DAAD supports exchanges of scientists and academics from partner countries.
Value of this scholarship include:
Monthly payments include:
- 2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers
- 2,150 euros for professors
- Unless otherwise regulated by bilateral agreements, the costs of the outward and return journey are borne by the respective sending country.
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs that result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers.
10. German Research Foundation DFG individual Research Grants
German Research Foundation DFG individual Research Grants is the last but not the least food technology scholarship on my list, it’s a partially funded food technology scholarship offered for a Ph.D. degree in the field of All research fields,
Eligibility for German Research Foundation Individual Research Grants:
- German Research Foundation (DFG) Research Grant is offered to scientists and academics to undertake a research project in a limited time period on a specifically defined topic.
- The candidate applying for the German Research Foundation (DFG) Research Grant should be a qualified researcher, who holds a doctorate.
- The candidate should be carrying out a research project on a specifically defined topic.
- Applicants being the researchers working to serve purely for commercial purposes or the researchers who are not permitted to publish findings are considered ineligible.
- Candidates applying for the German Research Foundation (DFG) Research Grant should submit a research project of high scientific quality and originality.
- The research to be carried out should be at an international level.
- For the first proposal, there is no submission deadline.
- For the renewal proposal, at least 6 months before the approved funds have been exhausted.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Competitive Are Food Technology Scholarships In Germany?
Food technology scholarships can be competitive due to the high demand for these programs and the limited number of scholarships available.
Strong academic performance and a well-prepared application can increase your chances of receiving a scholarship.
Is German Language Proficiency Required To Apply For Food Technology Scholarships In Germany?
It depends on the scholarship and the language of instruction for the program. Some scholarships require a certain level of German proficiency, while others may accept English proficiency if the program is taught in English.
How Can I Apply For A Food Technology Scholarship In Germany?
To apply for a food technology scholarship in Germany, you typically need to check the specific scholarship program’s website or contact the university directly.
Each scholarship has its own application process, requirements, and deadlines.
If you are interested in pursuing a culinary career, food technology scholarships in Germany offer an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in this field.
There are many programs and funding options available, so you can find the perfect fit for your goals and interests. By taking advantage of these scholarships, you can not only further your education but also contribute to the advancement of the food industry in Germany and beyond.
If you are an international student, most of the scholarships on the list are open to you, so read ahead to find out more.